Type 2 Diabetes – Hypoglycemia in the elderly
The human brain is abundant in nerve cells, and it is an organ requiring the most energy in the body. Our brain uses half of our body's sugar energy. Thoughts, memory, learning are closely related to your sugar level. When blood sugar level becomes extremely low, brain damage may occur like uncontrollable type 2 diabetes. Elderly people are particularly vulnerable
The United States Jones Hopkins University and the University of Chicago, Medical Journal of June 2018 Diabetologia A total of 3.1% of 2001 participants with an average age of 76 are severely low He had a history of blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Participants suffering from several hypoglycemic symptoms had a risk of developing good dementia more than twice (2.34%) the sugar control.
researchers continue tracking 1263 of the participants,
- brain MRI]
- Hypoglycemia is associated with new dementia cases and participants with severe hypoglycemia are more likely to develop new dementia cases more than twice (2.54%)
Relationship between extremely low glycemia and dementia. They argue that adults with a high risk of developing dementia are the safest type of drugs for type 2 diabetes to prevent hypoglycemia.
- A normal blood glucose level is in the range of 70 to 99 mg / dL (3.9 to 5.5 mmol / L) in the case of a normal awake person.
- Blood glucose levels should not exceed 140 mg / dL (7.8 mmol / L) in non-diabetic patients two hours after a meal.
On the other hand, people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes are accustomed to blood glucose levels that are considered abnormal for healthy people, so we need to discuss with the doctors about laboratory work.
Signs and symptoms of hypoglycaemia are …
- feeling of tension and anxiety,
- perspiration, coldness, skin texture,
- feeling bad,
- beating fast,
- dizzying Feeling or feeling dizzy 
- anger, stubbornness, or sadness
- drowsiness or vomiting
- blurred vision,
- lips or tongue stinging pain or Paralysis
- weakness or exhaustion
- crying during a nightmare or sleep
when hypoglycemia develops It is imperative to treat as soon as possible. I carry food all the time in an emergency. Cake icing tubes, a tablespoon of milk of sugar, or fruit juice will quickly return sugar to the blood. Then please call the office of your doctor.